Governor Terry Branstad issued another disaster proclamation Tuesday, adding 15 more counties in southern and southeast Iowa to the disaster list for the severe weather and flooding in April. The latest proclamation adds Appanoose, Clinton, Davis, Decatur, Des Moines, Jefferson, Keokuk, Lucas, Marion, Monroe, Ringgold, Van Buren, Wapello, Warren and Wayne.
Residents those counties and eight others previously named in disaster declarations are eligible for state low-income disaster grants. Department of Human Services spokesperson, Roger Munns, says grants of up to $5,000 are available.
”If they have the money up front to do the repairs, they should decided what’s needed and keep all the receipts. And then they can go on-line and find the instructions and an application to seek reimbursement,” Munns says. The grants are based on family income.
Munns says there is also a way to get money before you make the repairs. “If they don’t have the money up front, then there is a process for seeking a voucher. There are numbers to call for local agencies that will evaluate the damage, determine if you are eligible and then issue a voucher,” Munns says.
The eight counties names in the first disaster declarations are: Iowa, Johnson, Washington, Muscatine, Cedar, Scott, Mahaska and Lee. Residents seeking a voucher should contact local community action agencies for information. Munns says people have 45 days from the disaster declaration to apply.
Those who want to make repairs and then get reimbursed can find out more via the “Disaster Assistance” link on the DHS homepage at: dhs.iowa.gov.